There have been times when I have a kit that I want to use, but not everything matches the theme of my photo. I could go out and buy something new, but I like to try to use what I have. That often means that I alter the elements in the collection. Today, I am sharing a page created for the NJFB Color Challenge and showing you how I modified a few items in the kit to fit this design.
To create the background, I used a variety of triangle images cut from pattern papers, burlap, and cardstock cuts. The Triangle Tag cuts are made from white cardstock which are easy to add color to with ink, spray, paint, or markers.
To alter these die cuts, I used Distress Oxide Sprays. The inks created a distressed look and have a nice chalky finish that adds to the masculine feel of this page. I stamped some random images onto the red triangle using a small arrow stamp to give it the look of pattern paper.
Some of the triangles were backed with the burlap from the kit. Adding a backing to open die cuts can give them a completely new look and it’s simple to do.
Around each of the triangles I added some half-hazard stitching using a sewing machine. This added some texture to the page and gave an outline around the images. If you are not one who likes to sew, this can be replicated with dies or stamps.
Near the photo, I added a tag die from the ephemera pack. I chose woodgrain die cuts to bring some more natural elements to the page and give it a masculine feel.
I tied some twine onto this tag to bring in another natural element that would go well with the texture of the burlap. Simple additions of twine, thread, brads, or buttons can really dress up a die cut and give it a little dimension.
The ephemera pack had quite a few lumberjack themed elements, which did not fit the fishing theme. The flag near the title had a woodcutter image on it, so I cut off the image and added to to my page with a small staple.
Cutting apart tags, frames, and badges is easy way to modify a die cut. I always try to work with what I have, so many of my ephemera bits are cut apart.
The tab above the photo is also an altered image. I wanted something black at the top of my journaling tag, so I cut apart one of the frames and used it as a tag topper.
To finish off the design, I added a few stickers and some black enamel dots. I love how all the elements came together on this page. Unfortunately, I was not able to create a process video for this one because my computer was needing to be repaired.
If you have questions about this project or the supplies I used, feel free to comment below.
Hey friends! I wanted to let you in on the products I use in my videos. Just so you know, I’m not getting paid to promote any of them, but I do have some affiliate links available if you want to check them out. If you end up buying something through those links, it would mean a lot to me and my business. And don’t worry, you won’t be charged any extra. Thanks for your support! Learn more