If you have ever spent time with me in my craft-room, you will learn quickly how much I enjoy using my Cricut® machine. I not only use it for scrapbook pages and cards, but I often use it to create some home decor items for family and friends. You may recognize this week’s project from a Cricut® class that I taught last fall. This You Are My Sunshine shadowbox was designed specifically for my daughter, at her request, after she saw the class sample I made.
This home decor piece began with a simple 10-inch shadowbox I purchased from a craft store. My daughter had already chosen the sentiment. I uploaded the quote into Design Space™, resized it, mirrored it, cut it from vinyl, and applied it directly to the inside of the glass. She had requested that the flowers be made from Saffron, White, and Black cardstock so I chose to create the background using a beautiful leaf paper from our Fresh Air pack. I love the contrast of the Juniper and Glacier against the Saffron flowers. The Wreath image was cut from our Flower Market collection at 8.5″, inked, and added to the background paper using Foam Dots, then the completed flowers were applied to the wreath. (You can find a tutorial of the flowers here.)
I was delighted with the way it turned out and elated to find out that my daughter immediately hung this onto her wall. You can easily replicate this design using any sentiment or vinyl color of your choice. You could even choose to use another type of flower from our Flower Market collection. There are so many to choose from. If you haven’t had the chance to take a look at this Cricut® collection, you can view the entire shape index HERE on my website. There are some beautiful floral images and wreaths that you could use on this project. I can’t wait to see what you create!
**The links provided to the Cricut® website are through the ShareASale affiliate program and are posted as an endorsement. ShareASale compensates me a small portion of sales made through these advertisement links.
Our Flower Market Collection has some beautiful two dimensional and three-dimensional flowers, yet I could not find a Crocus to create for spring. After playing with some of the images on the cartridge, I discovered a way to create one for this week’s tutorial. You can find a list of the supplies I used at the very bottom of this post.
Cricut Design Space™ Instructions:
1. Insert the Lilac Flower (#MD38897) image into your canvas.
2. DUPLICATE two times, then resize two images to 3″h and one image to 2″h.
3. Insert the Holly (#MFAE002) image into your canvas.
4. DELETE the Berries. Using CONTOUR, remove all images except the “Pine Needles”.
5. Resize the “Pine Needles” to 2.5″w x .66″h.
6. Change all images to desired colors and cut out the images.
1. Using a sponge and ink of choice, ink the edges of each of the “Petals”.
2. Use a Bone Folder to curl the tips of each of the “Petals” up, then layer the “Flowers” from largest to smallest, rotating each slightly. If desired used 3D Foam Tape between each layer to add dimension. (DO NOT block the hole in the flowers.)
3. To create the “Stamen” use a Quilling Tool to roll the “Pine Needles” from largest to smallest into a tube shape and glue in place.
4. Use the Quilling Tool to curl each of the “Pine Needles” down.
5. Insert the completed “Stamen” into the center of the completed Crocus Flower and glue into place.
6. If desired, use a Gold Shimmer Brush to add shimmer to each of the petals.
I hope you enjoyed this week’s tutorial and that you take the time to create with your Cricut® this week. If you enjoy the Flower Market Collection as much as I do, you can purchase it on my website, OR host an online Facebook party or in-home gathering to purchase the collection at 50% off the retail price*. Contact me today and start earning free Close to My Heart Products and 50% off our Cricut Collections. I can’t wait to see what you create with this tutorial!
* Party total must reach $250 in retail sales to qualify for 50% hostess rewards.
The links provided to the Cricut® website are through the ShareASale affiliate program and are posted as an endorsement. ShareASale compensates me a small portion of sales made through these advertisement links.